Oregon Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance (effective 1/1/23)
It allows an eligible employee to take time away from work to:
- bond with a child during the first year after birth, adoption, or foster care placement.
- care for a family member who has a serious health condition.
- take medical leave for an employee’s own serious health condition.
- take safe leave for an employee experiencing issues related to domestic violence, harassment, sexual assault, or stalking
Employees who earned $1,000 or more in the year prior to claiming their benefit are eligible. What are the benefits? Eligible employees will receive a weekly benefit payment. The amount of the benefit payment will depend on the employee’s average weekly wage, and can be up to 100 percent of their wage. How much time can be taken? Eligible employees may take up to 12 weeks in a benefit year to care for themselves or a family member, and up to two additional weeks for pregnancy, childbirth, or related circumstances.
How is PFMLI funded? Through a payroll based contribution, of no more then one percent, shared by employers and employees.
- The contribution rate will be set annually by the Employment Department, and will be determined once program costs are estimated.
- Employees will contribute 60 percent and employers will contribute 40 percent of the required contribution.